Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Romex wire hookup

dpb wrote:

Depends where in the world he is. In Canada, there are 2 busses - one
ground (for bare wire) and one neutral (for white wire) - bonded for
main panel and not bonded for sub. - and code requires the neutral and
the safety ground to be installed on their correct Buss.

I'm virtually positive that's what US NEC says, too...

Even if not, it is, imo, poor practice to mix the two.

If it does say that, it's a new addition since the installation of the
panel in my house (and/or whoever did it didn't do it to code - but I
would ASSume that one would have pulled a permit for a panel replacement...)

I agree that it seems like a good idea, I just haven't seen it done.

I believe there's something in there about not putting more than one
neutral wire under a single screw, though? You can have more than one
ground under a screw, just no more than the connection is rated for
(e.g. it might be 3x 14AWG, 2x12AWG etc.) but only one neutral. I
assume this is to remove the possibility of opening a neutral on an
energized circuit while trying to service a different circuit.

Yes, I am in the YooEss. Not an electrician, but pretty handy. I do
try to "do things right" but don't pretend to know everything about code.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel