Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default IR reflective thermometer

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:34:14 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

Can I use one of there for my lead pot and casting molds? I see them for
as
little as $30 or do I have to spend more? Or should I get a contact
thermometer? Or try to find my thermocouple digital one?(buried in "The
Move")

======
Just my 2 cents worth, but you appear to be going overboard.
People cast lead bullets for 100s of years by simply melting the
lead over a fire and pouring it in the molds. What do you expect
to gain by very precise temperature measurement/control of the
molten lead?

Reproducibility. The idea is to make the same product every time by
controlling all the variables and have the highest productivity per hour of
good parts. Then, be able to exactly reproduce those conditions at any time
in the future. Sorry, it's in my nature.