Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O[_2_] Greg O[_2_] is offline

Default My Powermaticdrill press with VFD

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
no - that 1 sec "braking" is really a deceleration profile that will power
it for 1 sec on a donward RPM slope - you want the E-stop to cut power to
the motor - every VFD I've ever seen (a few dozen that I've looked at
carefully) had a feature that put it into "neutral" - sometimes you had to
choose but it is always there. Set the "off" switch to "coast" rather
than the decl profile - much safer.

Note that you can have surprises due to too fast decl, such as a screw
mounted thing unscrewing - coast is a much better choice

Stopping too fast on a drill press?? Never heard of such a concept! I would
rather stop right now, than coast to a stop when something goes to hell!
And what is this screw mounted thing you talk of??
Greg O