Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Winch power supply

Steve,
Be aware that winches do not have adequate brakes for overhead loads. Also be aware that the relays used for forward and backward
use are often seriously underrated for their application, especially if they are Chinese. The magnet coils will fire at 3-5V and
over current at 12-14V because they are under wound and burn up with prolonged use. Thirdly, to prevent the non-plated relay
contacts to survive arcing when stopping the winch, place a large 60-70 uf AC capacitor across the relay output terminals. The
larger the cap the better. This will allow the cap to continue to power the motor while the contacts continue to separate. Giving
time to create an adequate air dielectric boundary before the back EMF pulse arrives at the contacts from the motor. As far as
adequate power, use a large truck battery (100 Amp Hr) and recharge immediately after use.
Steve

"Steve B" wrote in message ...
I have a winch I can buy for $200 that is almost brand new. It is a 12v. Vortec 9500 # winch. I can use it for some skidding I
need to do onto my trailer, but then, would hang it on an I beam dolly for hoisting. Since it is 12v. what would I use as a
power supply that would give me the same as an automotive setup?

Steve