Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New (quality) build: Is central heating piping pressure tested?

In article ,
" writes:
The Water Regulations (or rather WRAS, the advisory scheme) have a
recommended procedure for pressure testing of supplies. ISTR though
that although some sort of pressure testing is mandatory in commercial
environments, it isn't on domestic installations.

Building Regulations mandate pressure testing of sewers, but not water
supply IIRC.

However pressure testing is widely used by professional plumbers, and
particularly for UFH.

A suitable gauge for dry air testing with a 15mm push fit on it is now
about 30 quid (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/72940/...ools/Plumbing-
Tools/Pressure-Test-Equipment/Monument-Dry-Pressure-Test-Kit).

I use one along with a car tyre footpump. It's not foolproof. I just
had to tackle an inaccessible joint with a very slow drip on it, that
didn't show under air testing. (My one and only poor solder joint in a
thermal store installation). But it will show most problems.

Dry pressure testing works very well on systems which have never
had water in them. Can be much more touch and go on a system once
it's been wetted. Water can block leaks for long enough that you
won't find them. Depends on pipe layout and nature of the leak.

--
Andrew Gabriel