Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default On the level

On Dec 15, 9:23*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Leon wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
Bill wrote:

My tub had a slope the wrong way when I bought the house. *Rotted
out quite
a lot before I finally figured out what the problem was and fixed
it.

Your tub rotted?

Nope. *The wall, the floor, the joists, . . .

So was that water that leaked between the tub and wall?

Actually went on the floor and under the tub. *Tubs have a lip that is
intended to catch water on three sides--you want it sloped so that water
runs toward the lip on the back of the tub so most of it stays in the tub..
Mine was sloped the other way * A bad seal around the valves let water run
behind the wall, down into the gap between that lip and the wall, it then
ran down the open side of the tub, behind the wall, and out onto the floor
under the vinyl. *First sign that there was a problem was when I put my foot
through the floor. *When I got into it I found that the floor was rotted out
from above, and water had run down alongside the nails onto the tops of the
joists and rotted them between the joist and subfloor. *Huge mess. *Didn't
help that the previous owner had *had the same thing happen, done a
half-assed job of fixing it and not bothered to check the levelling of the
tub.

I had the subfloor in a half-bath rot out without me knowing it. I
discovered the problem when I was pulling the fixtures out preparing
to tile the floor. I first noticed the strange aluminum flashing and
caulking under the baseboard. Then when I removed the vanity I
discovered the subflooring under it had turned to dust. Evidently the
previous owners knew about the leak but perhaps thought it was their
kid taking a bath on the floor and tried to dam up the walls. The
problem was a pin hole in the hot water supply pipe in the wall. I
found it by feel; a nail had worked its way from the inside out.
Amazingly, it never leaked enough to get to the kitchen ceiling,
below.