Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default IR reflective thermometer

On Dec 14, 6:34*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
Can I use one of there for my lead pot and casting molds? *I see them for as
little as $30 or do I have to spend more? *Or should I get a contact
thermometer? *Or try to find my thermocouple digital one?(buried in "The
Move")

Way too complicated for the purpose. The bimetal thermometer I use is
designed for casting purposes, cost less than $20 at the time. The
temp you need to know isn't the pot's surface temp, it's the internal
temp. And once you get good results, remember where the rheostat
position is on the electric pot control for next time. Both Lyman and
RCBS retail thermometers for casting. They're stainless and won't get
dissolved by hot lead. One of the easiest ways to improve bullet
quality is a good thermometer. You want the lowest temp that you can
get full fillout with.

Stan