Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Four questions about actual antennas and installation

mm wrote:
I now plan to put a pretty big tv antennas in my attic.

1)I won't need an assistent for aiming because I have a co-ax splitter
in the attic, I'll bring a tv up, and I'll have RF remote control for
the DVDR tuner. So: Should I use a color tv, or is a (lighter) B&W
tv just as good?? The B&W is 12 and I think the color is 14 inch. (I
have no stairs, just a hatch in the closet)

2) The roof is not free-standing, but has trusses every 24 inches.
And those trusses include inverted W's, made by 2/4's. On each side
of the antenna, only two pieces of 2x4, more likely only one, are
likely to be in the way.

I'll bring the antenna up still folded, but because of the 2x4's, I
might want to unfold an element a little bit, remove it completely,
and reattach it in the fully unfolded position. Is that possible with
Winegard antennas, or any other brand? (I"m afraid they might be
riveted on, loose enough to open but not more than that.)

3) The truss 2x4's are all at oblibque angles and I can move the
antenna up and down and forward and back, so it's likely I can find a
spot where they all extend, and I'm sure this question is obvious, so
please excuse me, but which is better, an antenna with 36 elements but
where one was permanently removed in order to mount or aim the
antenna, or a smaller one one with 28 elements??? (Or 41 and 36)
IIUC, I might have removed an essential one, but I could probably
remove another for a station I don't receive, move the antenna, and
put the first one back, right??

4) Does it matter if I tighten the F-connector all the way to tight.
Usually, just touching the center wire to the center hole is enough to
get a good and strong picture, without even touching the outer nut to
anything. But with weak signals, like distant channels, does it
matter if the connection is tight?

If you have a helper, and you each have cell phones (or can yell really
loud), you need not take the TV to the attic.