Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default favorite turning tools

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:53:03 -0600, wrote
(in message ):

Trying to decide what if anything I'd like to add to my collection of
turning tools.

What is your opinions on
your favorite tools?

I use a bowl gouge somewhat like an Ellsworth grind. I have also recently
made a hook tool for hollowing out some bucket-type vessels - learning that
the angle of grind on the hook is key to what I can do inside the vessel,
regarding the shape of the interior - will do more experimenting with this,
as it is fairly easy for me to make these hooks. I also like a couple of
home-made scraping type chisels, one for smoothing out curved interior
surfaces, and the other for cleaning up straight-sided and square-cornered
interior surfaces (like a cylindrical box and its lid). Thanks to tips here,
I can also call a fistful of shavings a tool, for final smoothing of a sanded
surface. Thanks, folks, very pleasing.

For other Shopsmith owners who are not too happy with their tool rest
clamping setup - the jamming action against the elevation screw starts to
damage the thread, especially when you are trying to make it stay put against
the force of a bowl gouge - I made a nice bar clamp which clamps around this
screw and wedges against the carriage to keep the tool rest from moving into
the work. I love it. I know the SS is not the best tool for turning, but it
is what works in my shop, so I am learning how to wring it out, and make it
deliver for me.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.