Posted to rec.woodworking

Default On the level

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:51:30 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring more
than
1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just the other day
without one, which I ended up doing twice.

... snip

While a level is sometimes important for such projects, there are other
times you don't want what you are mounting level, you want it parallel to
the ceiling (for a flat ceiling). A good example is drapery rods --
installing them level when the ceiling is not will make them look funny --
you want them an equal distance from the ceiling.

Thank you for mentioning this Rob. I've got a set of drapery rods and
curtains I need to install.
Surprisingly, it has been an intimidating project I have put off (lots of
strings, hooks, pleats, etc).
I started it one day and, based on unexcusably-poor directions, put it away
until I felt more enthusiastic.

Bill

For stuff close to the ceiling I just use a tape measure unless it
needs to work with gravity.