Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ghiotom ghiotom is offline

Default Voltage Regulator 041M03

On Dec 13, 11:24*pm, Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:34:40 -0800 (PST), ghiotom
put finger to keyboard and composed:

TO-220 3 leads. Below 041M03 is R535 with the Motorola symbol. This is
a vehicle information center from a 1996 Jeep.

Here's a pictu
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...06-20091213-14...

The MC33060AP is a "Precision SWITCHMODE Pulse Width Modulator Control
Circuit":http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data.../MC33060AD.pdf

Could the subject TO-220 device be an NPN chopper, or N-channel
MOSFET, in a SMPS?

The pinout looks like BCE or GDS, from L to R.

The SMPS could be generating 50VDC (?) for a vacuum fluorescent
display.

FWIW, here is a VFD reference design for automotive applications:http://www.embeddeddesignindia.co.in...EDIOL_2009AUG0...

- Franc Zabkar

Franc, I think you are right, the more I look at it. It does power a
VFD. I feel kind of silly thinking it was a voltage regulator, there's
a 7805 right there next to it. Thanks everybody for the help. I think
something might be shorted on the secondary to cause it to run so hot.