Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default On the level

"Mike M" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 02:56:31 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring more
than
1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just the other day
without one, which I ended up doing twice. So, tonight I went searching
online for a level. I assume that levels with magnets stick to the studs
in
walls (is that correct?). Any other uses for a "magnetic level"? I'm
focusing now on the 24" size. Stanley makes several, basic version from
about $16 up to a FatMax Extreme version which is supposed to be 5x as
strong and accurate to .0005"/inch. for about $35. I would anticipate
also
using the level to install machinery (TS, BS, DP) and a homemade workbench
on a concrete floor with several cracks (hench not level). I know that
the
workbench and vise should be level! I expect that a Starrett combination
square that I expect to have by then will be helpful too in this
regard--at
least I should be able to see to it that the top of the bench and the top
of
the vise are coplanar. So based on the installations I have suggested
above, what else do you think I need to know about selecting a level?
Reliability is important, of course. I read somewhere that those with
"caps" on the ends (which may include the ones I mentioned) have the
potential to be less reliable.

Thank you,
Bill

I keep waiting for the sound of the reel letting out line.

Mike M

Yes, yes, yes...your comment is well-taken. But appropriate use of a level
may make or break your project.

I was watching a YouTube video on woodworking where someone had built
a very large big "wall (storage) unit" and went out of the way to shim it
this way and
that to make it level--and that seemed counter-intuitive to me, I was
thinking
it should "fit the room". Frankly, that left me in a confused state.

It seems if you were installing anything that has to do with water (bath,
kitchen, a boat)
then you would desire certain surfaces to be level. (To me), it seems that
anything
else should follow the wall or ceiling lines or be balanced in between them.

Bill