Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default OT Camcorder advice - please

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
. ..
Have been reading and posting (when I have something to contribute) here
for about three years. I realize that camcorders are WAY off topic, but
I have searched the NGs every way I can think of and can not find an NG
that covers the subject. In addition, I respect the experience and common
sense of most of the people who frequently post here.

Wife and I want to buy a camcorder (not a Christmas gift) for our use.
Intended use is to record inventory of house for insurance purpose, record
grandkids (10 regular and one great granddaughter), pets, deer in the
yards, etc. There are a number of different features available in
camcorders, and frankly, we are confused. Money is an object - we are not
looking at HD, but some other features can also be expensive.

We believe that card storage in desirable over an internal HD; less
mechanical means less trouble.
- cards come in various sizes, but we are thinking of a 4 Gigabyte, which
we are told records about 80 minutes.

Camcorders come with various optical zoom sizes, from 10 X to 60 X. For
our intended use, what would be a good zoom size?

I think most brands have a program, either built into the camera or that
can be installed on the computer, that will download videos from the
camcorder to the computer, or to view on a TV. I assume we would need to
purchase another piece of software to edit videos; splice vids, insert,
delete sections, improve quality, etc.
-We would like a suggestion on some good editing program - nothing
professional, just home use that an old man could learn to use.

Currently, I am looking a Sony model DCR SX40. It has 4 Gigabytes
storage card, and 60 X zoom. Cost is $215 + 8.5% tax. It has a one year
warranty, but if there is a problem, the camcorder must be mailed into the
company. (To me, this is a big problem with several potential pitfalls).
By purchasing a $35 three year warranty, the camcorder can be taken to the
company and they provide a loaner and handle the repair. I don't know if
this warranty includes battery life, but if it does, it seems like that
alone would make it worth the cost. I realize that an extended warranty
depends on the company staying in business and in your city. This deal is
a FRY's, and they have been here for several years, so probably pretty
safe that way.

Anyway, this is our thoughts at this time, and all comments will be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob-tx

if you're only going to use it once, then rent/borrow one. if not, decide
what you want it for and look for features that can do what you want.

try http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ for reviews.