Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
Another thing you might try is hair spray. It will make things very
slippery. I use hair spray to install handlebar grips on motorcycles.
Altho I am not sure what would happen if you let it sit long enough to
dry, it may glue them together. Usually takes awhile to dry if you use
a lot. If you try this, let us know if it works. :-)

I don't have any hair spray, but I guess I could get some and try it. My
hunch is that it would get sticky before I could make the adjustment I

need
to make in the fittings.

I think hairspray has acetone or some other such solvent and might very
well
melt the plastic like the glue does.

HIGHLY unlikely. that would make it be pretty toxic.

some msds files:

non-aerosol hairspray:
http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_abo...8627641%29.pdf
aerosol hairspray:
http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_abo...5925520%29.pdf

mostly: water, alcohol, some sort of polymer glue, and fragrences.