Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Global Warming and what you can do to against it

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:02:00 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

Recently on PBS News, "Global Warming blamed for wars in
Africa." ..haven't heard that again, but this was seriously
presented.

Cute. I hadn't heard that one.

With regard to total effects causing global warming, it's just that no
one talks about the magnitude of the effect of methane belching out of
melting tundra, nor the constant fire [major source of CO2] in
Indonesia, nor the magnitude of the effect of that volcano two weeks
ago putting out the equivalent of 25 years of industrial pollution.
All inputs to the model should be put into perspective.

Bingo. While research papers and reports all itemize the alleged
causes and potential effects with copious numbers and statistics, the
information delivered to the general public is devoid of any real
numbers suitable for making an intelligent comparison or decision.
This is more an indictment of the publics inability to digest numbers
than an unwillingness of the proponents of global warming to supply
numbers. The result is that really important numbers get lost in the
trivia. As you note, prespective is lost.

Scare tactics? Years ago, California went through one of its many
drought crises. We were all put onto mandatory cut backs, and
encouraged to reduce consumption 25%. News kept showing empty
reservoirs. We wer to cut back even at the loss of recently installed
expensive landscaping. However, it really took the edge off suffering
through all our personal hardship when I learned that even if EVERY
citizens of California took their personal consumption to 0, that's
ZERO! the dent on water consumption in California would be a 10%
reduction. Takes the edge off all that personal hardship.

Not quite that bad. About 67% of the water used in California is used
for agriculture. Until we find a way to grow crops without consuming
as much water, that's unlikely to change. Farmers in Sacramento have
been water rationed to the limit of productivity to protect the fish
in the delta where 80% of the water use is for agriculture. To
achieve minimal water use, they've gone to installing soil moisture
meters and irrigation controllers that monitor water use almost
continuously. Personal water consumption is ummmm.... a drop in the
bucket.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D