Posted to rec.woodworking

Default On the level

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:35:13 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Bill wrote:
It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring
more than 1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just
the other day without one, which I ended up doing twice. So,
tonight I went searching online for a level. I assume that levels
with magnets stick to the studs in walls (is that correct?).

Uhhh...no. Unless they are steel studs. Wood isn't magnetic.

I know that the workbench and vise should be level!

What for? The only possible reason I can think of is if you intend to buy
HeyBub's bag of marbles, pour them out on the table and want them to stay
there (they'll stay in the vise, level or not, if you close the jaws on
them).

Having a level bench is a very good idea if you are fabricating on it
- you KNOW the bench is level, so if the assembly is level you also
know it is parrallel, and using a square with it, you also know if it
is square.