Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default On the level

dadiOH wrote:
Bill wrote:
It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring
more than 1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just
the other day without one, which I ended up doing twice. So,
tonight I went searching online for a level. I assume that levels
with magnets stick to the studs in walls (is that correct?).

Uhhh...no. Unless they are steel studs. Wood isn't magnetic.
___________

I know that the workbench and vise should be level!

What for? The only possible reason I can think of is if you intend
to buy HeyBub's bag of marbles, pour them out on the table and want
them to stay there (they'll stay in the vise, level or not, if you
close the jaws on them).

Stuff in the vise will stay put. A 1/4" chisel laid on the benchtop not so
much. And when it finishes rolling off it's even money whether it's going
to come down point first on one's foot or the concrete floor.

It's convenient that the bench be level enough that round tools don't roll
off of it.