Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default nitric acid to passivate

Karl Townsend wrote:
I need some nitric acid to passivate some stainless. Anybody know of a
common local source? I see my favorite McMaster Carr don't have it.

For example, you cab buy hydrochloric acid as muratic acid at any hardware
store. or phosphoric acid as "Lime Away" at any farm and fleet store or
sulfuric acid as battery acid at any auto parts store.

I see citric acid is also use to passivate. Know a local source for this?

Karl

As no one has so far mentioned it, ill do so.
Nitric acid is used regularly in electroplating works.
If youve one near you, look in your yellow pages under plating, they
may do passivation anyway, or let you have enough to do what you want.

im in the UK as well, and have no problemsgetting the stuff from
Canning. Birmingham. I do collect it tho on prior order..
whatsa abit more difficult to get is the real nasty, Hydroflouric acid.
Nitric is the basis constituent of bright dip. Great stuff for cleaning
corrosion off non ferous copper based alloys.

hope this helps.