Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Plotter as plasma cutter

Decades ago I used to work with 'flatbed' plotters before we all switched to
drum plotters and then ink jet heads driven upon roll plotters..
Typical plotter sizes were 48 inch x 36 inch. Thereupon was a track
mechanism (x and y) driving a single pen. Sadly, I junked several of the
above, but could probably find some by calling around.

Do you guys think one of the above would be easily convertible to a plasma
cutter? Of course I would only keep the track assembly (lose the board) and
mount it to a properly designed cutting table. Would the servos be strong
enough to take the weight of a cutting tip? Seems that programming should
be pretty easy. Most plotters had simply x and y jog instructions and could
plot by coordinates.

All thoughts appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary