Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default On the level

Bill wrote:
It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring
more than 1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just
the other day without one, which I ended up doing twice. So,
tonight I went searching online for a level. I assume that levels
with magnets stick to the studs in walls (is that correct?). Any
other uses for a "magnetic level"? I'm focusing now on the 24" size.
Stanley makes several, basic version from about $16 up to a FatMax
Extreme version which is supposed to be 5x as strong and accurate to
.0005"/inch. for about $35. I would anticipate also using the level
to install machinery (TS, BS, DP) and a homemade workbench on a
concrete floor with several cracks (hench not level). I know that
the workbench and vise should be level! I expect that a Starrett
combination square that I expect to have by then will be helpful too
in this regard--at least I should be able to see to it that the top
of the bench and the top of the vise are coplanar. So based on the
installations I have suggested above, what else do you think I need
to know about selecting a level? Reliability is important, of course.
I read somewhere that those with "caps" on the ends (which may
include the ones I mentioned) have the potential to be less reliable.

A level is a dirt-simple device. Even the ancient Egyptians used them.

Unless you have need for some exotic attachement - perhaps you're a
surveyor - a fully functional level shouldn't cost more than about three
bucks.

Here's a bag of marbles for 20¢ each.
http://www.landofmarbles.com/sup346.html