Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray[_10_] Ray[_10_] is offline

Default Stranded vs solid wire

Tinning the ends of stranded is an excellent idea -- proly no one does
it,
tho.

It is actually a BAD idea, as it hardens the wire where the tinning
stops, making the wire more succeptible to fatigue breaking of the
strands. NOT ALLOWED in aircraft wiring, for one "solid" example.

Please say more.

Wiring a lamp socket, tinning just the last 1/4th or 1/8th of an
inch, just to keep the strands from sticking out from where screwed
down, surely that's ok?

And being screwed down hard, no flexing, I'd hope.

Seems to me that a strand coming loose within airplane wiring
would be a lot more dangerous than tinning just a tiny bit
at the end to keep a strand from sticking out, with who knows what
effects.

Now, I am willing to be educated. Please don't just dictate
the correct answer, but try to CONVINCE us via argument,
data, metallurgy, whatever.

THANKS!

David

Worked at wiring broadcast studios, and we were not allowed to tin stranded
wires..
It was said that solder is too soft, and after tightening down screws or
clamps, the solder would just compress,
and would eventually cause a loose connection.

Ray