Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Buying bulding materials" HD\Lowes vs. Builders Suppliers

You sound like the typical "big box" warrior. Do your buying at
the big box and be happy. Fellas that make their living doing
this stuff have already suggested making a good relationship with
a real lumber yard would probably be more beneficial in the long
run. If you're worried about taking back 2 extra 2x4's, don't
shop at the real lumber yard.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"ls02" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 3:09 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message

In spring I am starting building big addition. I wonder how
HD\Lowes
stand in building materials (lumber, house wrap, subfloor
plywood, OSB
sheathing, roofing shingles, insulation, drywall and other)
vs.
independent custom specialized builders suppliers. I mean in
price,
availability of relatively large quantities needed to build
big
addition. I guess both HD and Lowes deliver.

Depends on your local stores.

I know of one instance where a fellow built a two story
commercial building.
He priced the material as HD and a local store. The local store
was $800
more but he figures he saved money. The difference was service.

HD wanted to make one big delivery. The local guy made a
delivery every few
days so there was less handling of material. He figures the
quality was
better so less waste and less time culling. The local place was
1/4 mile
away the big store was 20 miles so if you needed an item quick,
big time
savings.

There is much more to value than price alone. Shop wisely.

I do not have time to sift through every stud. I need apprximately
200
2 X 4, 40 sheets of subfloor plywood, yet to count # of
sheathing,
rools of insulation, etc. So I would like to order what I need in
bulk
and have it delivered to my house. How do I evaluate quality of
materials in bulk? I bought in past a lot of lumber at HD. They
have
both good studs and bad (twisted, broken, etc.) in a bunch and I
always sifted through to select good ones. But I never neeeded
realy a
lot of materials. And I always rented a HD trcuk to deliver it. HD
is
less then 2 miles from my house, Lowes is 4 miles. I am trying to
find
most practical and economical way to get building stuff I need.
Aslo
what's is very important I can always return to HD/Lowes extra
stuff
left.