Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default DVD/ STEREO SYSTEM: bridge rectifier question

I've just 'fixed' a dvd/amp/stereo all in one made by the world famous
Sunstech :-p
( model hf-dv55m ; manual and details here
http://www.sunsiberica.com/productos...tar_producto=5)

Unit was dead, on power up some garbled text appeared in the display.
measuring o/p voltages on the psu pcb, I saw the display lines were ok
but the 5v line was dead. Probing further, I found an o/c cct
protector or fusible resistor (marked '3000') in the DC output of one
of the bridge rectifiers.

I eventually traced the cause to a partially shorted spindle motor.
Changed that and the beast works, but I am concerned that the bridge
rectifier (marked GW RS202; appearance-wise, its like number 2 in
this pic http://arcadecontrols.com/BBBB/bridges.jpg ) gets extremely
hot in operation (you can't keep a finger on it at all). Not sure if
that is normal; the pcb looks slightly scorched near there, so could
have always been this way for all I know. The other identical bridge
is pretty much cool in use.

So, question is, is this likely to be leaky? I've only ever had one
case of a similar leaky rectifier, in a VCR a few years ago. In my
experience they normally just short out. Maybe fit a beefier one?

Any thoughts welcome.
-B