Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default Voltage Regulator 041M03

David Hester wrote:
Can't find any info on this device. I need to know what the output
voltage should be. I'm assuming 3 volts, but would like to know for
sure. It is getting red hot on the circuit board and is outputting
around 7 volts.

mad guess is its a typical 3 terminal TO220 voltage regulator.
Probably 12 volts in and unknown out. Could be 5, could be 3, or?.
You need to check the voltage ratings and values of the input and
output caps on the regulator. That might help give a clue.

If its getting hot, it may just be overloaded. You then need to figure
out how to load shed on the output side and fire it back up and see
what happens.

Try to see what kind of parts the regulators output is hooked to. If you
can ID any chips, look them up and find there voltage ratings.

Look close on the PC board for any signs of burnt parts or
discoloration. Also look for bulged or leaking electrolytic capacitors.
a shorted cap could overload the regulator.

bob