Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default B&D FireStorm 24VDC Batteries - DIE QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!

infiniteMPG wrote:
I have a great Black & Decker 24VDC FireStorm Hammer Drill that works
GREAT. The problem I am having is within the first few months, one
battery wouldn't hold a charge. So I got a spare but now I have a
second one not holding charge. Looked online and since this isn't the
latest and greatest thing now, the batteries are EXPENSIVE!

FireStorm FS240BX Battery Pack

I am not about to pay as much for a new battery as I can buy a new
drill for, so my question is : IS THERE ANY WAY TO REVIVE A
RECHARGEABLE BATTERY????

Yes, maybe, but its not a safe process.

Most cells i see fail shorted. This will work with NiCad packs only. You
have to take the pack apart and measure each cell voltage will DMM. Mark
each cell that does not measure arouind 1.2v or so. Use a small bench
power supply that does 6 to 12 volts at five to 10 amps. Put on gloves
and eye protection. hook up the negotive lead to the bottom of the
battery. Now, touch the postitive lead for a second or less and repeat
the process. Doing this, sometimes you can burn the dendrite short
open internally in the battery. Sometimes this will work, sometimes not.
Never leave high current on for more than a 1 second or so burst.
Do this to all cells that appear to be shorted. when the pack has all
cells reading ok, run it down as far as you can and recharge.
If your real lucky, you might get a little more life out of it.

bob