Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default B&D FireStorm 24VDC Batteries - DIE QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!

About the only way to get more life from the tool, is to rebuild the battery
packs.

The 24 volt packs will require 20 cells (20 x 1.2V). You might be able to
locate some decent cells for under $2 each, but better quality cells cost
more.
Be glad that you didn't buy a 36V tool.

There are numerous pack rebuilders, which may be a better option, since the
cells generally require spot welding to connect the cells.
http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront
Quality cells are made in Japan.. Panasonic, Sanyo etc.

There are 2 common/basic problems with cordless tool performance. Sometimes
both apply.
The manufacturer uses low quality batteries because better cells cost more.
The charger supplied with the tool doesn't adequately charge the packs for
long life, and/or overcharges the packs (cheap, crap charger).

Another factor is that the user often neglects to keep the packs in a good
state of charge.

A final alternative may be to add a cord to the tool, and use gel cell
batteries with a good charger (specifically for gel cells), to be able to
get more useful life from the tool. It won't be as portable, but if the new
battery pack is attached to your belt, the tool will be much lighter.

There are likely tens of thousands of cordless tools being sent to landfills
because of poor battery performance/early failures.
Some users buy cheap generic battery packs at places like Harbor Freight, to
disassemble them to rebuild their expensive battery packs.

Unless there is an internal connection broken (straps connecting cells) that
can be repaired, rejuvenating methods are generally a waste of time, and
some are definitely dangerous.

--
Cheers,
WB

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
I have a great Black & Decker 24VDC FireStorm Hammer Drill that works
GREAT. The problem I am having is within the first few months, one
battery wouldn't hold a charge. So I got a spare but now I have a
second one not holding charge. Looked online and since this isn't the
latest and greatest thing now, the batteries are EXPENSIVE!

FireStorm FS240BX Battery Pack

I am not about to pay as much for a new battery as I can buy a new
drill for, so my question is : IS THERE ANY WAY TO REVIVE A
RECHARGEABLE BATTERY????