Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default steel plate thickness query (amongst others!)

In message
,
JimK writes
nearly - correctly it is my road upon which there are rights for the
rest of the world to ride horses, walk and cycle
It's primary purpose is access for me to my property not for anything
else - that's secondary...like other highways...

Hmm.. sounds like a bridleway. Somebody has to own the land it stands
on.

I think concrete *rails* 4" above the main surface would be
considered dangerous to other users.

hence my plan to round the edges of the concrete (see OP)
how else will it be dangerous? the middle will eventually start to
fill up with horse sh1t/grass anyway?

I know he is trying to do this at
minimal cost but think the concrete should be in shallow trenches with
the surplus MOT used to fill the middle.

fill the middle ? if concrete is trenched - what middle?

Lets say you trenched at 2" shuttered and poured 4" you would have 2"
deep gap in the middle. M/c and road former hire, concrete plus a final
roll, this job is going to cost.

A much cheaper alternative would be to level off the holes with a
coarser material than MOT as soon as they appear.

what sort of material do you have in mind?

Crushed concrete. You can get different sizes. I think a 20 ton load is
80ukp here. If there is any chance this is a bridleway (check the
definitive map) you really must discuss this with the Highways officer.
They are usually friendly and may have access to *funds*. Our work was
paid for by the tipping tax which is meant to be spent locally.

regards

--
Tim Lamb