Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default House purchase - building survey - what to look out for?

"NT" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 3:23 pm, "js.b1" wrote:

I assume you can't check things yourself?

Wiring...

40 year old electrics has a fairly high chance of having been messed
with significantly over the years, and may need some bits sorting out,
but should be mostly sound, as long as its all pvc not rubber. If
rubber, probably need to replace the lot sooner rather than later.

Budget for a bundle of double sockets to replace any singles, and
you'll likely want to add more. May need to replace the odd worn out
switch or socket too.

Don't be put off by prehistoric fuseboxes, those are common on
otherwise decent installations.

Equipotential bonding in the bathroom is a reassuring indicator, but
is fairly unlikely to be present.

There is no equipontential bonding in the bathrooms on houses that I rewire.
17th edition etc

Adam