Posted to uk.d-i-y
Usenet Nutter Usenet Nutter is offline

Default Fire extinguisher

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:11:22 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

I've just pulled this fire extinguisher out of the engine compartment of
a second-hand boat:

http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/extinguisher.jpg
(and also flipped for ease of reading:
http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/extin...upsidedown.jpg )

I know nothing about the care and feeding of fire extinguishers.

Presumably this is out of date; does that matter? (there are no
regulatory requirements here AFAIK). The pressure is still just about in
the green, so is it worth putting back as better than nothing? I
probably wouldn't buy a new one; the engine fire protection on most
boats consists simply of a small hole to poke the cabin extinguisher
nozzle through.

Is it likely to go pop on its own? Should I be handling it carefully?
Presumably the red capsule in the frame is designed to melt in a fire;
is it otherwise delicate and likely to redecorate my living room if
someone knocks it over on the table it's sitting on?

If I decided to get it serviced, how much is that likely to be and where
does one go? Can I service it myself?

If I decide to get rid of it, how? I assume just chucking it in the
wheelie bin is frowned upon.

Cheers,

Pete

Given the date on it I'd be inclined to do anything except nothing...

.Yellow Pages for your locality will have loads of places listed who
could advise you what the best course of action would be and dispose
of it if that is what is required . .

I'm confused by what you ask about the "red capsule in the frame
melting in a fire )...Can't see it but can't see what good that would
do as the foam would probably go everywhere but where it was most
useful. Modern extinguishers appear to be made with the usual
squeezable handles .This looks more like the old type you turned
upside down and hit the button on a surface like the floor to operate
it .

http://www.actfire.co.uk/category/extinguishers/foam/

AFAIK the only ones you can refill yourself are the water ones with
the replaceable gas canister inside .

I'd suggest you get a modern one suitable for use on a boat .