Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Verdon Pete Verdon is offline

Default Fire extinguisher

I've just pulled this fire extinguisher out of the engine compartment of
a second-hand boat:

http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/extinguisher.jpg
(and also flipped for ease of reading:
http://pverdon.csoft.net/stuff/extin...upsidedown.jpg )

I know nothing about the care and feeding of fire extinguishers.

Presumably this is out of date; does that matter? (there are no
regulatory requirements here AFAIK). The pressure is still just about in
the green, so is it worth putting back as better than nothing? I
probably wouldn't buy a new one; the engine fire protection on most
boats consists simply of a small hole to poke the cabin extinguisher
nozzle through.

Is it likely to go pop on its own? Should I be handling it carefully?
Presumably the red capsule in the frame is designed to melt in a fire;
is it otherwise delicate and likely to redecorate my living room if
someone knocks it over on the table it's sitting on?

If I decided to get it serviced, how much is that likely to be and where
does one go? Can I service it myself?

If I decide to get rid of it, how? I assume just chucking it in the
wheelie bin is frowned upon.

Cheers,

Pete