Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default House purchase - building survey - what to look out for?

"Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote in message

I suspect that a standard "homebuyer's survey" would have sufficed but I
decided to be extra sure, hence going the extra 250 quid for the
building survey.

A homebuyer survey is basically a quick look for obvious problems and a
valuation. It is done for the benefit of the lender but you pay for it.
If you really want to have the job done properly with some comeback you
need a full structural survey. Flat roofs are almost always bad news.

Yes; like I say, that's what I am doing. I'm not requesting a mere
homebuyer's survey, I'm paying for a building survey (AKA structural
survey).

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/buying/vands.htm and
http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/...explained.html refer.

What I want to know from people who have done the building survey is how
detailed they are compared with a homebuyer's survey and is it normal
practice for the buyer to request particular attention to be paid to
aspects of particular interest e.g. wiring, flat roofs etc.

Well there will not be a proper inspection of the electrics included in the
report.

You could pay for a an electrician to do a PIR but even that is not perfect.

Adam