Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default steel plate thickness query (amongst others!)

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"JimK" wrote in message

mmm I'd not thought of exactly that approach (i.e. using centre) but
was hoping to avoid digger expenses altogether plus problem of what to
with (almost) perfectly good MOT etc that will be generated - it;s a
perfect sub base for concrete after all !!

Are you sure the problem isn't a lack of compaction on the MOT?
Have you run a road roller over it?

Groundwork Trust laid a crushed concrete topping on our by-way 3 years
ago. I have watched the appearance of *holes* since then. The lack of a
significant fall and proper drainage led to initial puddling and then
hole creation.

Fingers have been pointed at heavy farm vehicles but these rarely move
at more than 6-8mph and have cleated tyres which tend not to flush water
out of puddles. I believe the cause is car traffic probably travelling
at less than 20mph. Any water standing on the surface is flushed away
together with any grit or fines. These form *walls* around depressions.
Slight surface depressions collect more water and accelerate the
process. Eventually the hole reaches 2" depth with another 1/2" wall and
close to traffic calming bump height!

At a rough estimate there are about 20 vehicle movements per day: 10 in
and 10 out. Mainly intellectually challenged folk who ignore the *no
through road* sign in obedience to their navigator instructions.

Jim has not explained the legal status of the route but it is clearly
very narrow and also used by horse riders. If this is a bridleway with
vehicle access rights he should expect strong resistance to any
interference with the surface unless agreed with the local Highways
officer. I think concrete *rails* 4" above the main surface would be
considered dangerous to other users. I know he is trying to do this at
minimal cost but think the concrete should be in shallow trenches with
the surplus MOT used to fill the middle.

A much cheaper alternative would be to level off the holes with a
coarser material than MOT as soon as they appear.

regards

--
Tim Lamb