Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT... Giving to the less fortunate

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Helping the less fortunate? Since when have people decide what they will
accept as gifts? Bah Humbug, I don't need this crap.

Yeah, we get that at our office too, though thankfully I haven't been put
through the wringer like you have. I always felt these 'adopt a family'
things were more for the benefit of the donors, to get a warm fuzzy
feeling, and less for the donees, who in a couple of weeks will be right
back where they started. I saw the listings for the families to be
adopted, and judging from the clothes sizes and requested items alone,
they ain't starving or between a rock and hard place for basic
neccessities. Besides, I have my own under-employed and semi-functional
siblings to play safety net to. I prefer to donate my money to actual
charities.

I prefer to give cash to charities where I know it will be working and doing
some good. Salvation Army is one, and a local nursing home is another. They
have particular projects funded by donations where you can see the results.