Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Skylight repair

C & E wrote:
A branch struck the skylight on the double-wide that we use for our
cabin and but a 10" crack along the side. When I went to inspect it I
couldn't believe how incredibly thing this cover is. I patched it with
screen and caulk but can't see that holding for the winter. Is it
reasonable to be thinking that I should be building a frame of treated
wood and attaching it to the sides of the window (after removing the
tissue that I fixed) and cover that with a piece of 1/8" Lexan. The
other option is to use angle brkts and fasten the frame to the roof and
caulk around it. Which plan sounds the best? TIA Chuck

I would not add another layer, lest you create a condensation pond. I
presume the place sits empty part of the time? I'd fix the skylight or
replace it, and add 'roll bars' over the top to deter future debris
impacts. A storefront/window company can make you a pretty one, or you
could rig up something out of whatever is cheap and convenient. How to
attach it to the roof will depend on how your roof is framed and
skinned. A few angle brackets into the roof struts, properly caulked,
would probably be adequate, as long as whatever you add is not a wind
catcher.

--
aem sends...