Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is there any easy way to get a tv test pattern on my tv?

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:02:25 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:18:14 -0500, mm
wrote:

Is there any fairly easy way to get a tv test pattern on my tv screen?

I must be slipping in my olde age.

I put the idea in your head.

One does not use a circular pattern to adjust vertical (or horizontal)
linearity. One uses the cross hatch or dot generators instead. I
have used circles in the distant past, but they require a clear
plastic overlay with fairly concentric printed circles to generate a
Moire pattern. This is far more accurate (used for ancient radar PPI
displays to center and align the range circles) than cross hatch, but
major overkill for a TV set, which doesn't require such precision.

Hey, speak for yourself. Nuthin's too good for my tv.

Many newer TV's have a built in cross hatch test or service mode.
However, since the maker and model number wasn't supplied, I'll be

I'm sure this one doesn't have that. I don't think it would be called
"newer".

lazy and not dig out how to get into the test or service mode. This
might be a useful start:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/how2adj.html

Very interesting. I'll read more of it tomorrow.

There are also DVD's that can be played which generate various test
patterns on the TV. I have one in my palatial office, somewhere,
maybe (if I didn't loan it and forget about it). Also, I can't seem
to find one with Google. Argh...

I'll keep my eyes open for such a DVD. Thanks.