Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default steel plate thickness query (amongst others!)

On Dec 12, 4:20*pm, JimK wrote:
Next spring I'm going to have to revisit the access track/bridleway
which is deteriorating again despite regular topping up with MOT.

So thinking of casting in situ two 18 inch wide concrete "tank tracks"
for 150m!

Challenges will include:

1 keeping costs down.. mixing own concrete, doing a "section" at a
time.... or sod it and try and do 4m3 runs at once with small ready
mix trucks?

2 Keeping access open (incl vehicles) during concrete cure stages:-
Road forms or equivalent pegged for sides and a (possibly bolted down)
steel plate top for wheeled traffic whilst initial curing takes place
- how thick a plate? thinner is cheaper and easier, but at what
thinness will it bend/buckle and backfire??

3 Shaping the concrete to avoid sharp corner edges (horses etc) -
perhaps some sort of curved top (in section) road forms, or similar or
fabricate something to do the job... or will I be able to simply knock
the sharp edges off with a big hammer after a few days curing when
"mould" removed?

4 Do i need reinforcement? plan on 4inch average concrete depth for
cars, tranny vans, small oil tankers.

5 Any way I could easily replicate (or just give a passing impression
of) stone flags as I cast it? (other parts of the track have these
still in situ - it would be "nice" to give a nod to the vernacular..)

what does the group think? do-able? what've I forgotten/underestimated/
failed to appreciate etc--- you get the picture - Help!!

Cheers
JimK

Anyone know if this is workable?

Is there any possibility of repairing the MOT1 where needed, rolling
or whacking it, then pouring a binder on/in? Such as cement slurry or
tar. Then adding a tar topcoat to stop rain saturating and freezing.

There's then need to close off road access for curing. Also no need to
but the sand or stone parts of the concrete. A 3rd is far less and
easier mixing.

NT