Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

"Jay-T" wrote in message
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Jay-T wrote:
I am pre-fitting some PVC fitting for a 3-inch sewer drain line coming
down from a first-floor toilet. Where the drain comes through the
basement ceiling from the toilet, there are two 45-degree 3-inch
fittings -- one is the toilet flange itself which is a 45-degree fitting
and the other is a 45-degree elbow. The place where they come through
the ceiling is hard to access.

What I would like to be able to do is put the two PVC fittings together
and then be able to easily rotate both so I can get the correct angle I
need to continue the run. The problem is that when I put the two
fittings together, they are next to impossible to rotate while in place.
I need the fittings to be able to rotate one inside the other to get the
correct line-up.

Has anyone ever tried lubricating PVC fittings first just to get the
fittings lined up correctly, then marking them for the correct line-up,
and then remove the lubricant and glue the fittings together? Does
anyone know what kind of lubricant might work for this? So far, I have
just tried dish soap, but that doesn't work -- the parts just stick
together as usual and do not turn easily. Any suggestions on what to
use?

The glue make a good lube. Rotate as needed as you glue them up. It's
not rocket science.

Actually, it is rocket science -- or at least 3-dimensional geometry
involving complex angles.

Sure, the glue makes a good lubricant -- for about 15 seconds. Then it
makes a good glue, and whatever you have in place at the time the glue
sets you are stuck with, whether it works or not. For this application,
it was a matter of having to dry fit the pieces together first to see if
they would even be capable of making the complex turn that was involved
and end up with a pipe coming down at the correct angle to be able to make
the next connection.

Hmmmm.... if that turn is *too* complex, I'd hang a sign on the toilet that
says, "Flush Often, Please".
Esp. with 3" pipe.
Mebbe N'Yawkers just have bigger bowel movements? Our code is 4".
Texas proly has a 6" code.... 48 oz steaks, donchaknow....
--
EA