Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Winter energy saving tip for AC ducts.

on 12/11/2009 10:11 AM (ET) willshak wrote the following:
Just a hint.
In the winter, my air conditioning ducts, with the AC handler in the
uninsulated attic, let in a lot of cold air. Although there are
movable vanes inside the vents that can be shut, usually with a
screwdriver, they are not airtight. So how do I stop the air
infiltration? They sell magnetic covers for the metal vents, but what
about plastic vent plates which I have? I used to cover my plastic
vent plates with pieces of plastic wrap that I taped on. It was time
consuming trying to hold the thin floppy plastic film and tape it on
at the same time. In the last couple of years though, I use the
Contact Paper type of self sticking plastic shelf covering. Just cut
it to size, peel the paper off to reveal the adhesive, and stick the
plastic to the vent plate. I use the white kind so it hides the vent
vanes, leaving the whole plate white, but that's only a matter of
aesthetics, the clear kind, or any of the various colors and patterned
types, work as well.
Don't forget the AC return vents too.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. A picture is worth a
thousand words, or threads. :-)
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1...gventcover.jpg
The ceiling vent cover is 12" square.

--