Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Instant Hot Water

Steve Barker wrote:

I can tell you, mine takes 30 seconds and a full half gallon to get
hot at the kitchen. Not only a waste, but also an extra load on the
septic. It's not about recovering the cost, it's about having hot
water without waiting. When you only need 2 quarts of hot to start a
pasta,
why wait whilst 2 quarts go down the drain? I like the chili pepper
product myself. http://www.chilipepperapp.com/

It's not the best idea to use water from the water heater for human
consumption. Water from the heater can contain a goodly number of dissolved
minerals and metals, including lead from soldered joints. Over the days and
years, all kinds of nastiness from the municipal water supply congregates
and settles in the water heater tank. Further, the 140° of a water heater is
insufficient to kill most bacteria which flourish in the tank. A few years
ago, many at the IRS office in Houston came down with Legionnaire's Disease.
The vector was traced to a bacteria colony in the water heater.

The most ghastly condition is to use hot water from the tap to mix infant
formula!

Bottom line: Do not ingest water that comes from any water heater. Water
heater water is not potable.