Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Linear fluorescent light power consumption

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:37:41 GMT, wrote:

On 11 Dec,
"Trevor Smith" wrote:

Today I recieved my British Gas electricity monitor and I have noticed that
when I turn on the kitchen lights that are two 58 watt T8 tubes running on
two conventional ballast gear trays the wattage on the monitor shows a draw
of 160 watts which means that if the tube draws 58w then the ballast is
drawing 22watts, would this be correct?.

It won't account for power factor, so the difference will be reactive "power"
which is sucked from the mains then returned.

I've just been checking various appliances on my plug in power meter. I've
been assuming the figures in the handbook of my 2 year old Philips TV are
correct. It claims less than 1W on standby so I've been leaving it on
standby.

I now find it's taking nearer 25W and about 4W when switched off. Trading
standards?? And do I demand a refund?

Interesting - I've a 3yo Philips TV that shows 0.9 - 1W on the plug-in
meter and I used to leave that on standby sometimes; now do so only for 30
min. gaps or less.
I never checked it with BG's thing - wish had. But which is correct?
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.