Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Instant Hot Water

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:36:56 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

Home Depot is hawking a system for recirculating hot water such that
each faucet in the home has instant hot water. Does anyone have any
comments, good or bad, about these?

The original systems circulated water constantly, or least constantly
during certain times of the day (set by a timer for say, morning and
evening). I feel these waste energy.

I like the systems that require you to press a button when you enter
the bathroom, say. Then it pumps water from the hot side to the cold
side until the temp sensor senses the water is hot and it shuts off.

With that kind of system, you don't waste water, and only a minimal
amount of electricity is used. You can choose to press the button or
not based on what you will be doing in the room.

Very convienent. Saves water but doesn't waste energy.

I didn't realize they made commercial systems like that. It is the way mine
works, without the temp sensor. When I re-plumbed, I ran an extra return line. I
push a button, and the pump by the heater runs for 45 seconds. When you turn the
faucet on after that, it's hot within 2 seconds.
It's really nice.