Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_37_] Bob[_37_] is offline

Default Instant Hot Water

mcp6453 wrote:
Home Depot is hawking a system for recirculating hot water such that
each faucet in the home has instant hot water. Does anyone have any
comments, good or bad, about these?

I have had the Watts system, purchased from Costco, for about a year and
am pleased with it. It saves me time and water by not having to run
cold water doen the drain while waiting for hot water. By setting the
timer to run only when I need it, the additional energy usage is
trivial. The only drawback is some water hammer because of the sensor
valve between the hot and cold lines.

The Watts system places the recirculating pump at the water heater and
the sensor valve at the fixture at the end of the line. Other brands
combine the pump and the sensor valve. One deciding factor is at which
location an electrical outlet is available.