Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default Instant Hot Water

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

Home Depot is hawking a system for recirculating hot water such that
each faucet in the home has instant hot water. Does anyone have any
comments, good or bad, about these?

I've seen them in other "home improvement" stores too. I get the
impression that they are aimed at people who want everything "right
now." How long does it take for the water to run hot in a house with
well-insulated hot-water pipes? And would it not work only for a
building where the hot-water pipes all run in one direction from the
water heater? Pipes run in both directions away from our water heater?

I can't imagine recovering the cost (through saving a little water) in
less than a decade or two.

Perce

I can tell you, mine takes 30 seconds and a full half gallon to get hot
at the kitchen. Not only a waste, but also an extra load on the septic.
It's not about recovering the cost, it's about having hot water
without waiting. When you only need 2 quarts of hot to start a pasta,
why wait whilst 2 quarts go down the drain? I like the chili pepper
product myself. http://www.chilipepperapp.com/