Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default UPS batteries

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:

2. Temperature. If it's hot in the server rack the batteries will die
an early death.

How hot is hot? I commented elsewhere in this thread that the battery
compartment of my UPS is about 10 degress Celsius above ambient. I'm
wondering whether I should extend the leads, and put them outside the case.

Gel cells "prefer" a lower float (and charge) voltage at higher
temperatures. If your UPS doesn't have a thermistor circuit to reduce
the float voltage at the higher battery temperature, keeping the
battery cooler might extend its life by avoiding overcharging.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO