Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is there any easy way to get a tv test pattern on my tv?

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:18:14 -0500, mm
wrote:

Is there any fairly easy way to get a tv test pattern on my tv screen?

I must be slipping in my olde age.

One does not use a circular pattern to adjust vertical (or horizontal)
linearity. One uses the cross hatch or dot generators instead. I
have used circles in the distant past, but they require a clear
plastic overlay with fairly concentric printed circles to generate a
Moire pattern. This is far more accurate (used for ancient radar PPI
displays to center and align the range circles) than cross hatch, but
major overkill for a TV set, which doesn't require such precision.

Many newer TV's have a built in cross hatch test or service mode.
However, since the maker and model number wasn't supplied, I'll be
lazy and not dig out how to get into the test or service mode. This
might be a useful start:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/how2adj.html

There are also DVD's that can be played which generate various test
patterns on the TV. I have one in my palatial office, somewhere,
maybe (if I didn't loan it and forget about it). Also, I can't seem
to find one with Google. Argh...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D