Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_2_] Jay-T[_2_] is offline

Default Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

EXT wrote:

I don't think anything will work. I am not familiar with PVC plumbing
fittings because ABS plumbing fittings are mandated in my area,
however, I understand that they are made very similar. ABS fittings
will never fit together cold because they are tapered and the female
hubs are designed to be undersize at about the halfway point of
insertion. The idea is that the solvent/glue will disolve both the
surface of the fitting and the pipe and only then will they bottom
out when you press them together tightly. This way you get a solid
solvent welded joint that will not leak. Dry, they just jamb together
and not rotate nor bottom out.

Interesting. I didn't know that the fittings were tapered. That explains
why no amount of lubricant would work.

I just did a Google search for " are PVC fittings tapered " (without the
quotes) and found more info. Here are two links that I found:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbin...ing-55381.html

http://www.genovaee.com/?id,288 (on that page, click on the first link at
the top of the list on the right)