Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

"Jay-T" wrote in
:

I am pre-fitting some PVC fitting for a 3-inch sewer drain line coming
down from a first-floor toilet. Where the drain comes through the
basement ceiling from the toilet, there are two 45-degree 3-inch
fittings -- one is the toilet flange itself which is a 45-degree
fitting and the other is a 45-degree elbow. The place where they come
through the ceiling is hard to access.

What I would like to be able to do is put the two PVC fittings
together and then be able to easily rotate both so I can get the
correct angle I need to continue the run. The problem is that when I
put the two fittings together, they are next to impossible to rotate
while in place. I need the fittings to be able to rotate one inside
the other to get the correct line-up.

Has anyone ever tried lubricating PVC fittings first just to get the
fittings lined up correctly, then marking them for the correct
line-up, and then remove the lubricant and glue the fittings together?
Does anyone know what kind of lubricant might work for this? So far,
I have just tried dish soap, but that doesn't work -- the parts just
stick together as usual and do not turn easily. Any suggestions on
what to use?

What type of store did you buy them in?

Try running sandpaper/Abrasive Cloth around the outside of the male end
and very slightly knock the outer edge off/bevel it. Dry fit befoe
install as well.

If that's ng, try another supplier. Dry fit at the store.

I'm not even a good wanna-be plumber but my understanding is those
fittings HAVE to be clean before priming and gluing if you don't want it
leaking. All the lubricants you mention are contaminates.