Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Dobony Michael Dobony is offline

Default Battery Operated Reciprocating Saw

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:16:04 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

I think I want a battery operated reciprocating saw for Christmas. Do you have
any positive or negative recommendations? Porter Cable got some good reviews
from Consumer Reports recently. A friend has a Ryobi.

If I get one, what kind of blade is used for cutting Hardiplank?

Porter Cable has been bought out by B&D to eliminate the competition and
has greatly reduced the quality of their equipment. It is still a little
better than B&D, but not by much. To me it is a tossup between Porter Cable
and Ryobi. Both are DIY home owner brands and will not be terrible.
Personally, if I wanted one to get the job done right I would stick to
Milwaukee, Bosh, Hilti, Hitachi. I don't trust Dewalt since B&D took them
over. I had their cordless set and I had 3 brand new hammerdrills in just
under a year. The locking chuck did not lock. The clutch is designed to
drive deck screws through the decking on setting 1. The motor burned up in
one of them. It was a blessing when the set was stolen out of my truck! I
now own Milwaukee and am MUCH more satisfied with it.