Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am pre-fitting some PVC fitting for a 3-inch sewer drain line coming down
from a first-floor toilet. Where the drain comes through the basement
ceiling from the toilet, there are two 45-degree 3-inch fittings -- one is
the toilet flange itself which is a 45-degree fitting and the other is a
45-degree elbow. The place where they come through the ceiling is hard to
access.

What I would like to be able to do is put the two PVC fittings together
and then be able to easily rotate both so I can get the correct angle I
need to continue the run. The problem is that when I put the two fittings
together, they are next to impossible to rotate while in place. I need
the fittings to be able to rotate one inside the other to get the correct
line-up.

Has anyone ever tried lubricating PVC fittings first just to get the
fittings lined up correctly, then marking them for the correct line-up,
and then remove the lubricant and glue the fittings together? Does anyone
know what kind of lubricant might work for this? So far, I have just
tried dish soap, but that doesn't work -- the parts just stick together as
usual and do not turn easily. Any suggestions on what to use?

By dish soap, you mean dishwashing liquid? I would have suggested that,
surprised it doesn't work.
Dilute it out a little?
Could be bum fittings as well.
Do *any* of your fittings fit together so that you can rotate them?

The problem is, as I suspect you've already anticipated, that any oil-type
lubricant that ;might work better will jeopardize the pvc glue integrity.

If worse comes to worse, pvc fittings are not that expensive, so maybe you
can just remove some material from them so they can rotate, and sacrifice
them for this particular app, and have spares on hand.
Keep them around for future fit-ups, but mark them so you don't
inadvertantly use them.

--
EA