Jeff Cochran

Default Compound Miter saw info and recommendation

On 3 Dec 2003 10:44:18 -0800, (Mike O.) wrote:

I'm going to be purchasing a compound miter saw in the next several
weeks, and I'm looking for some information (this is just for use for
projects around the house, I'm not a contractor or anything).

We recently moved into a 35 year old house, so we're looking done some
basic remodling. Things like replacing baseboard, partially finishing
basement, etc. Also, I'll probably be building a deck and/or wooden
play set next spring. I did some of that stuff at our previous house,
but I'm tired of using a hand held circular saw or handsaw/miter box.

Most of the things I'd be using it for would be 2x6 or smaller, but
there's been enough times I've worked on something larger (2x8 or
4x4), that I'm looking at the 12" models. I'm not really interested
in a sliding model.

Go with 12", you'll be glad you did. If you don't need a sliding
compound miter saw, you won't miss the extra weight of it. I've used
an older Rigid, and it was fairly decent, but bought a Dewalt when I
bought mine. I don't care for Ryobi, the tools are too light weight
for me.

Jeff